The signs are there in the Caucasus that Russia is contriving an incident reminiscent of the German invasion of Poland that ultimately led to WWII or Germany's Treachery of the Molotov Agreement.
The wicked wolf (or rather a Bear) not happy with just stiffing Georgian energy supply is now busily fomenting problems elsewhere in the democracy. Georgia joining NATO and having a closer association with the West are behind the latest, xenophobic Russian actions.
This continues a century of intrigue and tension
• Georgia, weakened by centuries of war with Persians, Ottomans and Mongols, was granted Russian protection in the late 18th century.
• In 1918 Georgia declared itself independent. Three years later the Red Army invaded and in 1922 it was declared a founding member of the Soviet Union.
• Georgia provided the USSR with its figurehead, Stalin.
• Georgia was the first Soviet state to demand separation in 1989 and two years later declared independence.
• More than 250,000 Georgians were ethnically cleansed from neighbouring Abkhazia in 1992-1993.
• President Eduard Shevardnadze (a soviet stooge) was deposed by the Rose Revolution and replaced by Mikhail Saakashvili in 2004
- 2006 Georgia proposes joining Nato